Monday, October 11, 2010

One Down, One To Go

There's a lesson to be learnt about being sick and wanting to run. You should just NOT do it! Well, I learned that the hard way.

The night before the Nike City 10K race, I was suffering from fever and having one of the worse cases of flu and runny nose in my entire life. I was practically in bed the entire day trying to get well which I knew was to be an effort in futility.

But I was persistent that I wanted to run the race, after all when can one get the chance to even run on the streets on KL? Even wifey's threat of breaking my legs to prevent me from running didn't work ... LOL! But I did promise her that if I woke up on Sunday morning and felt horrible I wouldn't run.

Thank god, I woke up feeling a little better but still wasn't sure I would run until I reached the event location and then race adrenalin took over. Suffice to say, I ran the race, finished it in my targeted time but let me tell you that I will never ever run a race when I'm sick ever again.

It was one of the worst feelings I've ever had struggling to run the entire route with a slight fever, blocked nose, an irritatingly itchy throat and was so happy to see the finish line at the end of it all. This will be a lesson well learnt, that's for sure :D

But overall it was an exciting run. The event was electrifying what with the live singing performances by some of our local bands which were noisy but pretty good, mind you. Everyone had fun and the memories of running on what would normally be the busiest streets of KL is something to be cherished :D

I seriously wished I could take pictures but it is a little hard to run with a camera. Wifey was the designated camera woman but that was before she got the running bug ... LOL! Now I'm looking forward to next weeks 11K Mizuno Wave run. That is going to be a challenge indeed cos wifey and me checked out the route today and found it to be pretty tough.

I took the day off to recuperate and get a brake job done for my car at the Dallas auto repair shop (Ok, not really the Dallas auto repair shop ... LOL!) and after that we drove to the race venue located at Universiti Putra Malaysia and got a little worried with the elevation of the route. While it is going to be a nice scenic race running between an agricultural backdrop, the route happens to have loads of hills which is not something I'm looking forward to. But I can't wait for it anyway. Call me a sucker for punishment!

On a different note, I'm well on the road to recovery, all the sniffles and throat itchiness are going away and taking the day off was indeed a good idea. At least I'll head back to work tomorrow well rested and totally recovered. It's probably going to be another long day as the staffing problems haven't been settled yet but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, for now I'm just going to enjoy the day at home and do some reading on the Chevrolet Silverado, it looks like a damn cool pick-up.
.

10 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are recovered.

    But what tenacity! Still running desppite having a cold! Got infect other people or not? XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. adoiiiiiiiii... buat apa u lari lari when you are sick... you could have pengsan on the road man... adoiiiii and and you would make it to the news.. and your cover would be blown. We will all know who Nick is then when you pengsan on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you survived the run and, it seems, your bout with the bug that ran with you!

    Avery

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I cannot believe you still ran even though you were that sick! YIKES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my, you guys really take running a serious matter now ya? doing run after run. i wonder when will the running bug hit me. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lina - Not tenacity la, more like stupidity ... hahaha!

    Oh, without doubt I would have infected quite a few people ... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anny - Hahaha ... yes, if I had pengsan, then my anonymity would be a thing of the past ... good thing I didn't right :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meleah - Stupid people do stupid things at times ... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol - Fanatical is more like it ... hehehe ... We're perpetually on the look out for any run we can find these days :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on ANYTHING GOES!